A British student flying on a Singapore Airlines plane which suddenly plummeted 6,000ft in three minutes because of turbulence said she was “frozen with terror” in her seat.

Flight SQ321 left the UK on Monday evening at 10.17pm local time but experienced severe turbulence over Myanmar and plunged 6,000ft over the Andaman Sea off the coast of Thailand. People not wearing seatbelts were launched into the ceiling of the plane. The accident tragically cost the life of Geoffrey Kitchen, 73, who suffered a suspected heart attack. Also on board the Boeing 777 was Brit Mia Stevensen who had been dozing when the incident happened at 37,000 feet.

Singapore Airlines

Dozens were injured aboard the Singapore Airlines flight
AFP via Getty Images)

Speaking from her hospital bed, she told MailOnline: “I was partially asleep and the next thing I remember is I just flew upwards and crashed into the ceiling and then fell down really hard into the aisle.

“It was over in seconds and I didn’t know what was going on. I was very confused and just froze. I couldn’t understand what had happened. It was terrifying and I was shocked.

“I hit my head really hard on the ceiling and had a lot of pain and throbbing. I’ve also had some X-rays but so far everything seems to be OK, and I’ve been given the all-clear by the doctors but the pain has not gone.”

Geoff Kitchen
Courtesy of Thornbury Musical Th / SWNS)

She added she was “lucky” her experience was not more serious. After regaining control, the captain diverted the plane to Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport, where medical teams evaluated those aboard and sent more than 80 to hospital. Singapore Airlines said 131 passengers and 12 crew members who were well enough to travel were picked up on a special flight and arrived early Wednesday at Singapore’s Changi Airport. Last night, aviation investigators arrived in Bangkok to discover how severe turbulence sent the plane into a sudden dive.

Fellow passenger Joh Silverstone, 24, said: “I’ve only a cut in my eye and a chipped tooth, it could be way worse. Everything was fine until I arrived back at the airport and I couldn’t stop vomiting. I couldn’t walk, it was pretty bad.”

“I woke up on the floor, I didn’t realise what happened, I must’ve hit my head somewhere. There were people laying out on the floor.”

Officers from Singapore’s Transport Safety Investigation Bureau have arrived in Bangkok, according to Singapore Transport Minister Chee Hong Tat. He added the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board is also sending a representative as well as four technical advisors to support the investigation because the incident involved a Boeing plane.

Mr Kitchen suffered a suspected heart attack on the flight, according to a spokesman for Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport, where the plane was diverted. In a Facebookpost shared on Tuesday evening, Thornbury Musical Theatre Group in Bristol said: “It is with a heavy heart we learn of the devastating news of the passing of our esteemed colleague and friend Geoff Kitchen in the recent Singapore Air Incident.

“Geoff was always a gentleman with the utmost honesty and integrity and always did what was right for the group. His commitment to TMTG was unquestionable and he has served the group and the local community of Thornbury for over 35 years, holding various offices within the group, including Chairman, Treasurer and most recently Secretary. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and the family at this difficult time, and we ask you to respect their privacy.”

Singapore Airlines said in a statement: “A Singapore Airlines team from Singapore has arrived in Bangkok to support our colleagues and the local authorities on the ground. We are providing all possible assistance to the passengers and crew on board SQ321, both at the hospital and the airport.”

Article source: https://airlines.einnews.com/article/713953690/DXCicL2vQG48bGB6?ref=rss&ecode=vaZAu9rk30b8KC5H

Leave a Reply