The WA premier, Roger Cook, is speaking live now about the shooting in Perth over the weekend, in which a mother and daughter were killed.

Cook begins by acknowledging that the WA police investigation into the incident is ongoing, and notes there will be a coronial inquest.

Cook continues:

Firstly, as a community we all need to do more to tackle the root causes of family and domestic violence. This was a crime motivated by family and domestic violence. As a society, we need to do better to put a stop to family violence.

That’s why this government is investing more than $400 million towards family and domestic violence prevention and response, and we will keep looking at every option to tackle this devastating crime across our society.

And secondly, this just highlights the need to finally sort our gun laws out once and for all. There is no reason a person living in Mosman Park should be able to legally own 13 guns. It’s hard to fathom one man, 13 guns legally owned right in the suburbs of Perth.

Our firearm reforms are before the parliament right now. They will be debated in the Legislative Council tomorrow. They will be the toughest gun laws in Australia. And I’ve asked the police minister to closely review what happened on Friday to see if there’s any further changes that we can make to make these laws, even tougher.

Filters BETA

Coalition vows to undo changes to character test for restoring visas

The Coalition has vowed to unwind changes Labor made to the character test for visa cancellations, which make it easier for non-citizens to have their visa restored if they have significant ties to the Australian community.

The Australian newspaper has been reporting on the criminal history of some non-citizens who have had their visa cancellations overturned.

The Albanese government is so far standing by ministerial direction 99, the new rules that were introduced to reflect a “commonsense” approach that those with significant ties to Australia should not be deported to countries where they lack community links.

After an agreement between Anthony Albanese and then New Zealand prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, in July 2022 Andrew Giles signed off on the new rules in January 2023.

Under the new rules, the strength, nature and duration of ties to Australia are considered alongside four other “primary considerations” including protecting the community and “whether the conduct engaged in constituted family violence”.

In one case, a New Zealand-born man – referred to as CHCY – was given his visa back in March despite being found guilty of nine counts of indecent treatment of a child under 16 and two counts of rape in relation to his stepdaughter.

The AAT “found that CHCY’s strength, nature and duration of ties to Australia as a primary consideration, weighs in favour of revocation of his visa cancellation as he has lived here for 21 years”.

The tribunal said CHCY had “violated the expectation that he be a law-abiding citizen” and would ordinarily lose his visa, but restored it due to his “particular circumstances and those of the victim”. The government believes this indicates the fact the victim had moved to New Zealand was the decisive factor, not the new rules.

On Monday the shadow immigration minister, Dan Tehan, said the Coalition “will, on day one as a priority, rescind that Andrew Giles ministerial direction, if we are elected at the next election”.

Tehan said the case of CHCY shows the ministerial direction “is clearly failing”:

The person who committed this crime … came to this country as a 16-year-old. He’s not an Australian citizen … We don’t owe him anything. He has breached trust with the Australian community. He is not a citizen and that is why he should be deported.

The deputy prime minister, Richard Marles, said the decision was by an “independent tribunal”.

Many thanks for joining me on the blog today, I’ll hand over to Stephanie Convery to guide you through the rest of today’s news. Take care.

The Bureau of Meteorology has shared a national weather update, forecasting a wet and windy front due to sweep across the country:

Palestinian officials have asked for Australia’s help in “building vibrant democratic institutions” and fighting corruption, as part of talks aimed at meeting the Albanese government’s conditions for recognising Palestine as a state.

Ireland, Spain and Norway are due to formally recognise Palestine tomorrow, and while the Australian government no longer sees recognition of Palestinian statehood as a step that can only be taken at the very end of a peace process, it has signalled it is unlikely to follow the three European countries in the short term.

The head of the general delegation of Palestine to Australia, Izzat Abdulhadi, said he would be prepared to meet Penny Wong to “listen to her ideas about how we can really have a more bold reform agenda”. He told Guardian Australia:

We listen to our partners … If you support the establishment of a Palestinian state, it should not be lip service. You should provide something to realise and materialise this slogan, by helping, actually on the ground, to build the Palestinian institutions.

You can read the full interview with Abdulhadi below:

And here is what Wong had to say in regards to a Palestinian state last month (more details here):

Watch: pro-Palestine encampment at the Australian National University

Here’s a video from the Australian National University’s pro-Palestine encampment, where student protesters were earlier chanting “we shall not be moved”.

We reported earlier that students had voted overwhelmingly to stay at the camp, but the university has since warned if they do not relocate by 12pm tomorrow, they could risk “further action from ACT police”.

Administrators for grounded budget carrier Bonza have been given a two-month window to try to sell the airline, AAP reports, as thousands of creditors sweat on the outcome.

Leave was granted by the federal court today to extend the deadline to find a buyer until 29 July, after a judge was told the failed carrier’s airline licence would probably form its most valuable asset. A second creditors’ meeting will be held in that period, after an initial meeting on 15 May.

Several parties are reportedly interested in bailing out the cash-strapped airline, which went into administration with debts of about $110m.

Barrister James Hutton SC, representing administrators Hall Chadwick, told the court that keeping the company out of liquidation would likely give creditors a better outcome:

In the event that the company is put into liquidation, advances will be made that will cover some but not all of the employee entitlements.

If the company went into liquidation, employees might be entitled to retrenchment payouts but it was possible they might not be able to recoup their superannuation entitlements, the court heard.

Customers with forward bookings were treated as contingent creditors, taking the total number of creditors to 58,428. Justice Ian Jackman said customers might be able to retain bookings for future flights if the airline continued operating.

Creditors were told at their first meeting that the airline owed nearly $77m across two loans, almost $16m to trade creditors and another $10m to landlords.

Other debts include more than $5m owed in staff wages and annual leave entitlements, and $3m to government authorities such as the Australian Taxation Office.

Students at the pro-Palestine encampment at the Australian National University have been told to relocate by 12pm tomorrow or risk “further action from ACT police”.

According to a video posted by student newspaper Woroni, a pre-recorded voice message from the university was played to students, which stated:

This notice is to inform you that you are directed to vacate this area by 12pm tomorrow … Your current position is situated within the primary fire evacuation zone for the Kambri precinct.

If you wish to continue, you are to relocate to the grassed area beyond North Road in front of the engineering building. Non-compliance with this direction by 12pm tomorrow may result in further action by ACT police.

More details on the 70 social homes next to Waterloo metro station, via AAP

NSW housing minister, Rose Jackson, says the 70 social housing units will be for women fleeing domestic violence and age pensioners:

This development is emblematic of our government’s approach to building world class public transport right next to the kind of quality housing we know Sydneysiders need to live in.

Here at Waterloo, our government is leaning into the idea that transport and housing can and should work together.

It isn’t enough just to say we want density … it’s got to be quality, it’s got to be linked to transport and there’s got to be social and affordable housing so that people can live in our increasingly unaffordable city.

NSW premier says new metro and social housing a blueprint for future Sydney

A redevelopment project in inner Sydney providing affordable housing at a major transport hub has been hailed as emblematic of state government plans to transform the city, AAP reports.

Construction of a metro station at Waterloo, about three kilometres south of the city centre, is complete and ready to welcome passengers within months when the line opens.

A nine-storey residential project next to the station includes 70 social homes in addition to extra affordable dwellings for frontline workers and privately owned accommodation.

Premier Chris Minns says more social and affordable housing integrated into existing public transport networks will bring Sydney into line with other major global cities:

That’s how great cities around the world have grown sustainably – not just building infrastructure, not just building homes, but building wonderful communities. You have to do the two things at the same time, build public transport infrastructure and put new housing on top of it.

Brisbane airport train travel could be subsidised by Queensland government

The cost of travelling to Brisbane’s domestic and international airport terminals on the privately operated train service could be subsidised by the Queensland government, AAP reports.

The state’s 50c public transport trial won’t apply on trains to and from the airport as the Brisbane Airtrain has a monopoly, following a deal signed in 1998.

However, transport minister Bart Mellish says the government has submitted an offer to Airtrain operators to lower fares during the trial. A return paper ticket from Brisbane’s Central Station to the airport costs $41.80 on the private service.

Mellish told ABC radio Brisbane:

This is a really strange contract … that was entered into more than 20 years ago. It is a privately run service so we can’t direct them to set the fares as we can with the rest of the network.

I’ve made an offer to Airtrain, we’ve been in discussions with them for a while to reduce fares to the airport. We’re keen to work with the Airtrain operators to see what we can do to drop fares.

The government will offer to subsidise fares to and from the airport for a period of time, with discussions likely to continue in the next few weeks, he said.

Article source: https://airlines.einnews.com/article/714846655/dn6fJ0j_glSm3AVi?ref=rss&ecode=vaZAu9rk30b8KC5H

Leave a Reply